The U.S. Navy is bringing Navy Week to the Willamette Valley during the week of Sept. 25 – Oct. 1.
Willamette Valley Navy Week will bring between 50 and 75 Sailors from across the nation to volunteer throughout the community and discuss why the Navy matters to Oregon. This will be the first Navy Week hosted by the state of Oregon.
Willamette Valley Navy Week will feature in-person demonstrations, performances, and engagements throughout the week that will include:
• A community night at Volcano Stadium is scheduled for Tuesday, Sept. 26, from 6 to 8 p.m.
A softball game is scheduled between Sailors, Keizer police, Keizer Fire District and high school students.
Performance by Navy Band Northwest to follow the game.
• Senior Navy Leaders—Flag officer and senior civilian Navy leaders with ties to Oregon and the surrounding area.
• Namesake Sailors—Sailors serving on USS Oregon (SSN 793), a Virginia-class fast-attack submarine and USS Portland (LPD 27), a San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock.
• Navy Band Northwest—Performances and masterclasses with Navy musicians.
• Naval History and Heritage Command—Educational presentations and lesson plans about the deep ties between Oregon and the Navy.
• USS Constitution—Demonstrations about the oldest commissioned ship in the Navy.
• Navy Expeditionary Combat Command—Educational STEM presentations and fitness demonstrations by technicians, medics, and divers.
• U.S. Naval Meteorology and Oceanography Command—Educational presentation on the importance of atmospheric and oceanographic science and the overall value of STEM education to the Navy.
For more information on Willamette Valley Navy Week, contact Lt. Cmdr. Kevin Chambers at (901) 232-4450 or [email protected].