Carbon monoxide poisoning is suspected in the death of a Keizer teen and her father in Salem.
Richard Yaple, a 50-year-old Salem man, and his daughter Hannah Yaple, 17, were found deceased inside a fifth wheel trailer Monday, Feb. 1.
At 10:46 a.m., a caller reported finding two people not breathing in 5700 block of State Street, east of Salem. The caller said they went to the location after not hearing from the people since Saturday.
When deputies and crews from Marion County Fire District #1 arrived at the scene, both people inside of the trailer were pronounced deceased.
Due to the suspicious nature of the deaths, detectives from the Marion County Sheriff’s Office Criminal Investigations Unit were called to the scene.
Detectives believe the two deaths were the result of carbon monoxide poisoning from a propane heater being used inside the trailer. A dog and a cat, were also found dead inside.
Each year in the United States there are at least 430 accidental deaths due to carbon monoxide poisoning, according to the Centers for Disease Control.
Carbon monoxide (CO) is an odorless, colorless gas that kills without warning. Many household items including gas- and oil-burning furnaces, portable generators, and charcoal grills produce carbon monoxide.
For more information on safely using devices that produce carbon monoxide, carefully read all labels and visit www.cdc.gov/co/factsheets.htm.
The Marion County Sheriff’s Office was assisted during the response by Marion County Fire District #1, Marion County Medical Examiner’s Office, Marion County District Attorney’s Office, Marion County Dog Control, and Marion County Public Works.