COMMUNITY

Calendar

Continuing through Saturday, April 20 Romance is the theme of the 9th annual Heritage Invitation Exhibit at Willamette Heritage Center at Mission Mill. Nine museums from around the region each have displays including Keizer Heritage Museum’s unique Keizur family wedding socks (on loan from the Oregon Historical Society). To learn[Read More…]

Keizer activist, tribal leader honored by Merkley

Delores “Dee” Pigsley The name and accomplishments of Keizer woman and longtime leader of the Siletz Tribe are now inscribed forever in the records of the United States Congress thanks to Oregon Sen. Jeff Merkley. Merkley submitted a written statement about Delores “Dee” Pigsley into the records as part of[Read More…]

Museum exhibit is (slightly) radioactive

Tammy Wild’s collection of uranium glass emits a ghostly green glow under black light. Tammy Wild picked up her interest in colored glass from her in-laws who had colorful displays in their homes. But, a chance encounter with information on uranium glass on the internet helped her discover some of[Read More…]

A call for fellow sojourners

Cara Meredith Cara Meredith’s journey from Keizer led her into the arms of the man she loves and then into confrontation with her own “colorblind” view of the world. “I think I’ve gotten a lot wrong. Sometimes I think my book is what not to do when it comes to[Read More…]

Family Literacy Night a hit at Keizer Elementary

More than 100 familes showed up for Family Literacy Night on March 4 at Keizer Elementary. (KEIZERTIMES/Matt Rawlings) Coming into the school year, it was a goal of Keizer Elementary principal Christine Bowlby to increase family involvement at the school. The event that Keizer hosted earlier this month showed how[Read More…]

Annual book sale at Salem Library

Friends Of The Salem Public Library will be having their annual Spring Book Sale on Friday, April 5, Saturday, April 6, and Sunday, April 7. The Friday and Saturday sale will go from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Sunday is Bag Day when participants can purchase a bag of books[Read More…]

CALENDAR

Continuing through Saturday, April 20 Romance is the theme of the 9th annual Heritage Invitation Exhibit at Willamette Heritage Center at Mission Mill. Nine museums from around the region each have displays including Keizer Heritage Museum’s unique Keizur family wedding socks (on loan from the Oregon Historical Society). To learn[Read More…]

PFLAG celebration

PFLAG Salem will celebrate the Transgender Day of Visibility with a special screening of a movie only available on the festival circuit. PFLAG Salem, in collaboration with Willamette University’s Gender Resource and Advocacy Center, will screen The Most Dangerous Year at 2 p.m. on Sunday, March 31 in Ford Hall,[Read More…]