As a result of lifting pandemic restrictions throughout Oregon, Salem-Keizer Public Schools (SKPS) are updating their mask requirements for students.
The following changes took effect July 1:
• Students are required to wear face coverings indoors and on school buses until further notice.
• Staff are required to wear face coverings indoors when in direct contact with students. This applies on school buses as well. Direct contact is defined as within 3 feet of a student for 15 minutes or longer.
• Staff and students are not required to wear face coverings outdoors.
• Anyone may choose to wear a face covering in situations when it is not required.
• Physical distancing will continue indoors with at least 3 feet of distancing when possible.
Certain accommodations for medical needs or disability may be necessary. In addition, Salem-Keizer Public Schools leaders have met with Marion County Health and Human Services and Polk County Public Health to discuss both adult and student protocols and will continue to closely monitor the protocols and adjust as necessary.
The district plans to provide full-time, in-person instruction, five days a week in September. District officials hope the new protocols will position SKPS to return students and staff to school without the need to wear face coverings in the fall.
Parents are expected to receive additional information before the beginning of the school year, Sept. 7.