McNary's Taylor Rubio looks to throw the ball to a teammate in a game against Canby on Friday, Jan. 7 (KEIZERTIMES/Matt Rawlings).
Salem-Keizer Public Schools announced earlier this week that they would be continuing with athletic activities while consistently reviewing protocols and safety measures. For all athletic activities, the district will continue to prioritize consistent safety practices for student participants, coaches, staff and spectators. Some of the new protocols are listed below.
Spectator capacity limits
Due to the increased risk of transmission for COVID-19 during athletic events, SKPS will be implementing capacity limits at all athletic events beginning on Tuesday, Jan. 11. Details for each type of event/facility is below:
Basketball: Four spectators per participant including basketball and cheer athletes, and pep band participants. This four spectator limit is subject to change depending on the event venue capacity limits. Team coaches will communicate with participants on final event spectator limits. Pep bands will be set in an area to allow proper distancing.
Wrestling: Four spectators per participant.
Swimming: Spectator limits will depend on venue capacity at the KROC center (to be determined). More details on final capacity numbers will be shared with families once finalized.
Face coverings and physical distancing requirements
• All requirements for physical distancing and face coverings will continue to be maintained for participants, coaches and spectators. Requirements include:
• Face coverings are required for all spectators.
• Athletes are not required to wear a face covering indoors while actively practicing or playing a competitive sport at any level, including cheerleading and dance/drill.
• Students not actively participating (i.e., on the sideline/bench during an indoor competition.) are required to wear a face covering.
• Coaches and support staff are required to wear a face covering during indoor practices and competitions. This includes weight training regardless of location.
• All individuals should maintain physical distance to the extent possible.
• Face coverings are optional in outdoor settings.
Concessions, trips and other activities
All athletic activities such as overnight trips, extra team functions (ex. team meals) and concession stands will not be allowed.