The Keizer Civic Center will serve as a cooling station Sunday, June 27, as projected temperatures are forecast to soar to 115 degrees.
The cooling center will be equipped with water, charging stations and places to sit down. COVID-19 guidelines will be in place, masks required, social distancing and sanitizer stations for use.
In addition the Splash Station behind the civic center in Chalmers Jones Park will be open Friday through Sunday from noon to 7 p.m.
Prevention of heat-related illness is critical during hot weather. Here are a few tips to beat the heat:
• Move to the shade; park spaces with trees and other forested areas can provide much needed protection from the elements
• Drink lots of fluids. You should drink small amounts frequently, e.g. one cup every 20 minutes.
• Don't leave children or pets in the car. Even leaving them in the car for a little bit can be dangerous and temperatures can become life-threatening within minutes.
• Manage workloads and do the heaviest physical labor in the cooler part of the day. Add frequent short breaks. Monitor yourself and co-workers for signs of heat illness.
• Wear lightweight clothing. Light colored cotton fabric is a good choice.
• Pull blinds or shades to reduce the amount of solar heating coming from the windows. Keep windows closed when air conditioning is running.
• When possible, stay indoors in an air-conditioned area. If you do not have air conditioning, go to a shopping mall, theater, or other public location that does.
• Be sure pets have lots of fresh water to drink.
• Check on sick and elderly neighbors that may be susceptible to heat illness.
For unsheltered residents, ARCHES, the local community service agency, is planning to provide afternoon shelter at its Salem day center on Saturday and Sunday. This will run from noon to 4 p.m. The group is seeking six volunteers for each day to help provide cold beverages and access to shade and AC at the center.
Other splash pads in the Salem-Keizer area include:
Englewood Park, 1260 19th St. N.E., 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Fairmount Park, 650 Rural St. S.,12 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Northgate Park, 3575 Fairhaven Ave. N.E, 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Riverfront Park, 200 Water St. N.E. 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
River Road Park, 3045 River Rd. N.,10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Wes Bennett Park, 2200 Baxter Rd. S.E., 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.
West Salem Park, 265, Rosemont Ave. N.W., 12 p.m. to 8 p.m.