COMMUNITY

Standing together, 6 feet apart

Ronnell, Chevelle, Adelle and Adam Jr. Staudinger Faculty and staff at Forest Ridge Elementary School put on a parade for students Wednesday, April 8.  Students lined the streets and sidewalks to greet some familiar faces.  Zach Scales, Shane Scales and Dalton Van Dyke prove they were standing six feet apart.[Read More…]

What this newspaper means to me

After my first year or so at the Keizertimes, I began fielding the same question from a number of my regular contacts on the job: “When are you moving on?” One way to read a question such as that is they wanted me gone, but I suspected that wasn’t the[Read More…]

Sign of the times

Carol Haben sent a message to neighbors and a reminder to everyone to wear masks when in public by outfitting one of her lawn ornaments with protective gear.

Keizer B&G Club races to fill in the gaps

Marianne Freeborn, director of the Keizer Branch of the Boys & Girls Club, guides club members through breathing exercises. The Keizer Boys & Girls Club has foregone in-person meetings, but they’re still connecting with the kids. “Once the school district made the announcement that [closures] weren’t just spring break, that’s when[Read More…]

Rotary raffle winners drawn

The Rotary Club of Keizer’s Go for the Gold Raffle drawing went on as scheduled on Saturday, April 4, though the raffle party had been cancelled. Les Zaitz was the grand prize winner, the recipient of gold and silver valued at $10,000. The second place winners of $1,200 in cash[Read More…]

Boredom-busting resources to pass the isolation hours

Despite our best efforts, boredom looms like a cloud during these weird times.  We dug up some resources you can tap into to pass the time online, many are free and some have a cost, but there’s a little something for everyone.  The National Emergency Library The Internet Archive is[Read More…]

Sewing machines fire up to make masks

Summer Donily’s sewing machine was already warmed up to respond to the need for face masks during the COVID-19 pandemic.  “I do a lot of volunteer sewing. I started with Randall’s Children’s Hospital, I made pillow cases and quilts for them, I sew for the American Cancer Society and Be[Read More…]

100 years young

Mariella Dibble greets visitors from her window at The Village at Keizer Ridge. Mariella Dibble turned 100 years on Thursday, March 26 at The Village at Keizer Ridge. While her birthday plans were sidelined by COVID-19 precautions, undeterred family, friends, and staff members arranged a surprise visit. They arrived in[Read More…]

‘Angel’ donor delivers cause to celebrate

Zachary Dowell didn’t have to skip cake and candles on his fifth birthday thanks to the kindness of strangers. David Dowell was only expressing his frustration when he posted on a Keizer Facebook group that his son, Zachary, would have to forego cake and candles on his fifth birthday. He[Read More…]