COMMUNITY

KHT receives more than $9K in grant money

Marc Wasson (left) and Caitlyn Wise act out a scene in the 2019 Keizer Homegrown Theater production of Who am I this Time (& Other Conundrums of Love). It has been well documented how non-profit organizations have been deeply affected by the spread of COVID-19. Keizer Homegrown Theater (KHT) had six[Read More…]

Netflix’s High Score uses a cheat code

Ever since I received my first gaming system, a lime green Gameboy Color, and chose Squirtle as my starter companion in Pokémon Red Version,  I have had a passion for video games. Despite this, I have never been great at them; I am one of those guys who can play Super Smash[Read More…]

KAA celebrates Colors of Autumn

Keizer Art Association’s virtual show in October is Colors of Autumn. The association’s website will feature beautiful colors of the fall season. Entries of any medium depicting the colors of autumn may be entered. Children ages 4 – 14 are encouraged to enter this show. Entries may be submitted through Wednesday, September[Read More…]

Saving more than just the children

Child sex trafficking has been thrust into the spot light with #SaveOurChildren, but awareness started long before the hashtag was trending. Organizations work with survivors, spread awareness and information on where to get help and some even execute rescue missions to get people out of the trafficking industry.  The Center[Read More…]

McNary grad debuts Salem LEGO shop

McNary High School grad Alex deMeurers surrounded by the wares of his new south Salem store, Brick in the Wall (Submitted). Similar to what many people throughout the country have experienced this year, Alex deMeurers’s felt the pain of being laid off from his job in June due to the[Read More…]

What and where to donate for Oregon fire evacuees

United Way is collecting all donations for fire evacuees at 1330 Front Street N.E. in Salem. These were the most urgent needs at press time: Masks, durable work gloves, denture brush and cleaning tablets, reading glasses, pumps for mattresses, camp chairs, flashlights, batteries, bleach wipes, cleaning supplies, disinfecting spray, dishwashing sponges,[Read More…]

City council agenda September 21

AGENDA  Keizer City Council Regular Session Monday, September 21, 2020, 7 p.m., Robert L. Simon Council Chambers  930 Chemawa Road NE, Keizer, Oregon 97303 1. Call to Order 2. Roll Call  3. Flag Salute 4. Special Orders of Business 5. Committee Reports 6. Public Testimony This time is provided for[Read More…]

Former Celt filling old coach’s shoes

Grant Kessel When Grant Kessel was a freshman at McNary High School, he wrote down that one of his future goals was to be a physical education teacher in Keizer.  Fifteen years later, that goal has become a reality. Kessel, who has been a P.E. teacher at Houck Middle School[Read More…]