Dem or GOP? Doesn’t matter, just fix it

It would be a reassuring development if Oregon legislators could collectively announce the truth about the amount available in the treasury for state use in the upcoming biennium. Additionally, instead of once again casting aspersions and more blame on Democrats by Republicans and vice versa that, after announcing what’s available for state programs, they let us taxpayers know what each party wants to do with what money is available, the amounts each will try to get allocated here and there, invite feedback from their respective constituents, and provide all to the media for circulation. Instead, we receive mixed signals from the media sources that reports on the grousing or cheering of those going to Salem. Meanwhile, there are plenty of mixed signals to go around.  Just two of them follow here. The Oregonian, in discussing money available to support public education and referencing what Governor Kate Brown has announced, reported in its Dec. 25 edition “It’s unclear how much money will go to either proposed (education funding) plan with a $1.7 billion deficit bearing down on the state and threatening to devastate educational funding.” Two days before The Oregonian’s piece on the subject, District 25 Rep. Bill Post, wrote in the Keizertimes, that “the truth is, we have a windfall of state revenues, to the tune of an 8.5 percent increase over the last biennium (and that’s after a 14 percent increase in revenue in the previous biennium, making a total of 22.5 percent increase...

Read More