Heavy damage was done to a house on Marino Drive North Aug. 21 due to a fire. (Submitted)

Heavy damage was done to a house on Marino Drive North Aug. 21 due to a fire. (Submitted)

The Keizer Fire District responded to the report of a house fire on Cade Street NE shortly before 4:30 p.m. Tuesday, Aug. 25.

Smoke and flames were coming from the home when firefighters arrived on the site. When they entered the home they found fire had done extensive damage to the second floor. The rest of the home suffered from smoke and water damage.

Firefighters determined a cigarette that was improperly disposed of ignited the wooden porch at the front of the home. Damage to the residence was estimated at $10,000 and damage to the contents of the home was estimated at $2,000. No injuries were reported in the incident.

Fire officials remind residents to always completely extinguish smoking material before discarding and always put the remains in appropriate ash trays.

Smoking materials are the leading cause of fire deaths and the third leading cause of home fire injuries.

Four engines, two medic units and two duty officers with 14 firefighters responded to the incident. Salem Fire Engine 2 and a Marion County Fire District Medic Unit assisted with the fire.

There was more damage to a Keizer residence four days earlier when KFD personnel responded to the report of a house fire on Marino Drive North shortly after 3 p.m. Friday, Aug. 21.

Upon arriving at the house firefighters found heavy smoke and flames coming from the rear of the home and backyard.

The fire was called in by a passerby, as no one was home at the time. Firefighters were on scene for more than an hour.

Rod Conway, KFD deputy fire marshal, said initial estimates of the damages were $70,000, but “most likely it will be a total loss.”

Four engines, one medic and one duty officer with 14 firefighters responded. Salem Fire Engine 3 assisted with the fire, while an engine and medic unit from MCFD was at the station to cover other calls.

District officials remind residents they should always check their smoke alarms to ensure they work properly and to have an exit plan for escaping.