Day: May 1, 2013

Egami Construction flying high

By Jyll Smith For the Keizertimes Keizer’s Sakurako Egami Thatcher remembers her first day working on the Oregon Department of Transportation project. A cold winter’s day in 2009 found her and husband Reed struggling mightily with a simple hand auger as they dug post holes for huge orange highway construction signs along the Wilson River highway west of Portland on a State Bridge Delivery Program. Over the next three construction seasons, Egami Construction tackled five more bridge program projects – from as far south as Winchester on Interstate 5 to two-lane highway bridges in the rural Willamette Valley, and on higher elevation projects in the Coast Range mountains to a complex tunnel and viaduct repair on the western slope of the Cascades Range. While Thatcher is perhaps proudest of the largest bridge program project Egami Construction tackled – the recently completed $14 million update of the Hood River interchange on Interstate 84 – she still relishes the memory of that first day on the job. To read the complete article and other news from around the Keizer area, pick up a copy of the April 26 issue of Keizertimes, available at stores all around the area. To subscribe for just $25 a year, click on the ‘Subscribe Today’ link at the top of the page, call 503-390-1051 or visit our office at 142 Chemawa Road North in...

Read More

No injuries in Keizer house fire Monday

  By CRAIG MURPHY Of the Keizertimes A Keizer family was uninjured after a kitchen fire Monday afternoon. The incident on the 2000 block of Chemawa Road North left Keizer fire chief Jeff Cowan preaching what to do. According to Cowan, the mother had hot oil on the stove and was making tortillas. She was distracted by her children; when she looked back to the stove, oil had either spilled or boiled, igniting a fire. As a result, the microwave with a vent above the stove caught fire and fell. “They’re trying to get out,” Cowan said. “The husband is able to get out the fire by spraying the outside hose through the window.” Cowan emphasized some safety tips. “The first thing to do is smother the fire with a lid,” he said. “If you can’t get it out, get the family out and call 9-1-1 from a neighbor’s house. An extinguisher in the kitchen would have helped. It should be kept where it will be reachable.” Cowan complimented the parents for their quick action. “The did everything they could to do it right,” he...

Read More